SOCIAL ANXIETY TO SOCIAL SUCCESS
What is Social Anxiety?
It’s a phobia or fear of social situations. Sometimes people are worried they’ll be judged or criticised and humiliated in front of others. It’s more than being shy. It can happen when eating out, meeting people and feeling like you’re being constantly watched. It can occur in childhood or adulthood and seemingly appear out of nowhere, especially in times of undue stress.
The fear takes over, rational ideas and thoughts go out the window, and people tend to avoid social gatherings and situations that make them feel this way. If left unchecked or treated, it can lead to a lack of relationships, an inability to communicate your wants and desires, depression and even substance abuse.
Physical reactions to Social Anxiety.
The symptoms are varied and can include:
- Being self-conscious
- Nausea, vomiting or diarrhoea
- Increased heart rate, sweating, dizziness, trembling
- Blushing, stammering or inability to speak
- Replaying repeatedly a social situation
Can Social Anxiety be Cured?
Yes, it can. It takes time and effort, but it is curable.
The best way to start is to see a talking therapist, e.g. Counsellor or psychologist. Therapy involves :
- identifying what is triggering your social anxiety,
- the thoughts around the triggers and
- ways to change how your brain reacts and thinks in social situations.
Instead of blasting music at you, it’s like reprogramming Alexa devices to turn on the lights when asked. It’s all about changing what you focus on in social interactions. The more effort you put in, the faster your social anxiety is managed and even controlled at will.
There are heaps of resources out there, but here are a few I recommend:
- Beyond Blue (https://www.beyondblue.org.au/the-facts/anxiety/treatments-for-anxiety/anxiety-management-strategies)
- Black Dog Institute (https://www.mycompass.org.au)
- Moodgym (https://moodgym.com.au)
If you’d like to know more about the exact therapies involved, give me a call on 6291 4382 for a free chat.
3 Tips to controlling Social Phobia Today
- Focus on your breath because you will be breathing faster when anxious. So take 3 slower breaths and watch your body start to relax.
- Avoid caffeinated drinks – they hype us up and make any anxiety worse.
- Try to take 3 breaths that are deeper than what you are doing right now. make sure that whatever psychological technique or therapist you use; it’s tailored to your specific needs. Avoid one size fits all type miracle cures.
One last thing to remember.
To solve social anxiety effectively and as quickly as possible, make sure that whatever psychological technique or therapist you use; it’s tailored to your specific needs. Avoid one size fits all type miracle cures.